Phillipians 1:12

Phillipians 1:12 "and I want you to know,dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News."







Monday, May 14, 2012

Big News!! Shepherd Center

    Wow, how time has flown by! I cannot believe it's the middle of May already! and I have some BIG NEWS that some of you already know about...but I haven't posted anything about it yet.

     I have been accepted into the Shepherd Center Day Program! You might be asking yourself,  "what is that?" well, here's a detailed description I copied from the Shepherd Center website.

 

Day Program

Shepherd Center's Day Program enables patients who no longer need 24-hour nursing care to continue their recovery and rehabilitation while living in nearby apartments provided by the Center.
Services are focused on the functional return of skills necessary for community reintegration. Services you may need include physical or occupational therapy, nursing, respiratory therapy, counseling sessions, therapeutic recreation and educational training sessions.
Depending on your goals, you may need these services for a few days or a few weeks.
The Day Program also helps minimize the chance of further medical complications that are secondary to the neurological injury or illness.
Going home and perhaps back to work or school can be stressful. We offer a wide range of services to help make this transition go smoothly, including:
  • Medical care
    Our nursing care continues in the day program and may include care for neurogenic bowel and bladder, spasticity, blood pressure, blood clots, contractures, strength and mobility issues.
  • Return-to-work counseling
    You may or may not be able to return to the same type of work you did before your injury. Our counselors will help you find a job or career that's right for you.
  • Back-to-school program
    Through our No Obstacles program, you and a Shepherd therapist design a back-to-school plan that can include in-school awareness and sensitivity training for school staff and students, as well as instruction regarding medical issues, which may come up during your school day.
  • Life-skills training
    Our therapists help you practice the skills you'll need to get through a normal day. This can include everything from grooming and dressing to managing your schedule and working with others.
  • Mobility training
    Outings into the surrounding neighborhood will help you practice skills you'll need in your own community.
  • Family/caregiver training
    We offer classes for your family or other caregivers to make sure they understand your injury or illness and your needs.
Housing for patients in the day program is provided for the duration of the rehabilitation program. To qualify for housing, patients must live more than 30 miles from the Center.
For more information about admissions to the Day Program, click here.

Outpatient Services

Outpatient Services at Shepherd Center provides medical treatment, therapies and care for people with disabilities for a wide range of needs on an outpatient basis. Our programs provide individualized, integrative care and include family members when appropriate.
___________________________________________________________________________________

     Now as many of you remember, I was an in-patient at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta from the end of September 2010-December 2010.  I was there to have a muscle flap surgery on a bedsore, as well as extensive Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy. My care and therapies were some of the best in the nation, but I was still almost 200 miles away from my family (Matt was there as much as he could be, but he was working and needed to be home with Asher), friends, pretty much anyone I knew. So, there I am in some strange city, lying in a hospitail bed, all alone...

   And then an amazing thing happened! What seemed to me out of nowhere, people, Christians, whom I had never met before started showing up..in my hospital room! God knew my need, and WOW...did he meet it in abundance!

      I had visitors from several difference MOPS groups in Atlanta, women from Christ Presbyterian Church, and of course my dear sweet friends from Passion City Church! You all have forever touched my life. I am so blessed to know you and look forward to seeing you soon!

    So I am off for Atlanta on May 28th (that's like 2 weeks!) and I should be there for about four weeks. Pray for me, that the Lord will just touch my body where I will be able to make significant progress while I'm there. Pray also that God gives wisdom to my therapist in my treatment. Last, and most important, that I will continue to keep my eyes fixed on Him and seek His kingdom above all else, no matter what happens.
     
To Him be the Glory,
Chelsey 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment